Category: Cookies & Candies
posted by: vrcoolbaugh
- 2 ? Cup (375g/12oz) plain flour
- ¾ cup (200g/6 ½ oz) cold butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 egg yolk
- 4 Tbsp water
- generous pinch of salt
- Egg wash (egg yolk mixed with water)
- Strawberry Jam
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) Icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- water (just enough to make a thick icing)
- Put the flour, icing sugar and salt in a large bowl (or in a food processor).
- Rub in the cold cubed butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix together the egg yolks and water and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix in until a dough forms. It doesn't take long.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minute to allow the gluten to relax. (you can freeze the pastry at this point)
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface until ¼ mm thick.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut your pastry to 3inch x 4inch rectangles. You will need 2 for each pop tarts.
- Egg wash your pastry, this will help the 2 pieces stick together and give your pop tart a lovely golden color. . Prick the top with a fork to release steam while baking
- Spoon the jam onto half of the pastry. Take care not to over fill or you would have a jam explosion.
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix some icing sugar, vanilla extract water together until thick and spoon over the pastry. And of course finish with sprinkles.
You can freeze the pop tarts raw and assembled and then bake when needed
About this Recipe: