Category: Cookies & Candies
posted by: vrcoolbaugh
- 2 ? Cup (375g/12oz) plain flour
- ¾ cup (200g/6 ½ oz) cold butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 egg yolk
- 4 Tbsp water
- generous pinch of salt
- Egg wash (egg yolk mixed with water)
- Strawberry Jam
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) Icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- water (just enough to make a thick icing)
- Put the flour, icing sugar and salt in a large bowl (or in a food processor).
- Rub in the cold cubed butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix together the egg yolks and water and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix in until a dough forms. It doesn't take long.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minute to allow the gluten to relax. (you can freeze the pastry at this point)
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface until ¼ mm thick.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut your pastry to 3inch x 4inch rectangles. You will need 2 for each pop tarts.
- Egg wash your pastry, this will help the 2 pieces stick together and give your pop tart a lovely golden color. . Prick the top with a fork to release steam while baking
- Spoon the jam onto half of the pastry. Take care not to over fill or you would have a jam explosion.
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix some icing sugar, vanilla extract water together until thick and spoon over the pastry. And of course finish with sprinkles.