3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional; for enhanced chocolate flavor
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 9" pan.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
3. Spread the batter in the pan.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with some moist crumbs clinging to it, but doesn't show any trace of raw batter.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and cool. Sift powdered sugar over cooled brownies before cutting and serving.
6. Store, covered, for 5 days at room temperature, or freeze for up to a month.
You COULD use a box mix, but why when these delectable brownies are so easy? I doubt you go back to a box after making these!